The Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center (KGACLC) Workers’ Rights Practice Area provides free legal services to low-income individuals who have experienced unfair and illegal treatment at their place of employment. The major types of issues that we deal with include:
- Unemployment issues
- Wrongful termination
- Unpaid wages (meal and rest break violations, unpaid overtime, unpaid vacation, final paycheck, etc.)
- Harassment and discrimination at the workplace for various reasons (race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age [over 40], disability, etc.)
- Retaliation from employers
- Help with Family and Medical Leave Act and California Paid Family Leave Act issues
- Assistance with representation at the Labor Commission and the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board
- Other related issues
The Community Law Center offers weekly advice clinics regarding the aforementioned issues. See our current clinic schedule.
Depending on the available resources, the KGACLC may decide to offer full legal representation to a limited number of clients seen during its legal clinics. Although these representation services are free, there may be other costs that will not be covered by the KGACLC. Such costs may include court fees, mailing fees, interpreting fees, etc.
Please make an appointment during one of our Workers’ Rights Clinics to discuss you particular situation.