The Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center (KGACLC) Consumer Practice Area provides free legal services to low-income individuals who have been victimized as consumers and debtors by unfair business practices and fraud. The major types of cases include:
- Fraud while purchasing a new or a used car
- Car repossession or towing issues
- Debt collection harassment
- Notario or paralegal fraud
- Telemarketing or door-to-door sales fraud
- Identity fraud
- Credit card fraud
- Credit reporting problems
- Other miscellaneous consumer cases
Please make an appointment. Homeowners must call the Law Center at (408) 288-7030 the Monday prior to attending the Wednesday legal clinic at the Court’s Self-Help Center. You may receive advice, information or referral in the following areas:
- Disputes with mortgage companies
- Loan modification assistance
- Issues related to fraud, predatory lending or financial abuse
The Community Law Center offers advice clinics twice-a-month regarding consumer-related issues. It also offers a monthly clinic regarding debtors’ rights. The advice provided during the clinics is free of charge. See our current clinic schedule.
Depending on the available resources, the KGACLC may decide to offer full legal representation to a limited number of clients seen during its legal clinics. Although these representation services are free, there may be other costs that will not be covered by the KGACLC. Such costs may include court fees, mailing fees, interpreting fees, etc.
Please make an appointment during one of our Consumer and Debtor Clinics to discuss you particular situation.
Find the latest consumer news and top complaints and reviews here: