Certificate(s): High Tech Law
The process of technology licensing. Includes topics such as motivations for licensing, types of agreements used in licensing transactions, provisions commonly used in licensing contracts, and special considerations of international licensing. Actual negotiation sessions with scenarios provided and exercises in drafting specific provisions used in technology licensing contracts. Approved IP LL.M. course.
This practice-oriented course covers the fundamentals of intellectual property licensing, including strategizing about intellectual property protection, valuing intellectual property, carrying out due diligence, negotiating business terms, drafting licensing agreements, and using in-/out-/cross-licensing for continuous innovation.
- Understand and identify legal issues related to intellectual property protection, enforcement, and licensing transactions.
- Understand the sources of licensing law.
- Compare and contrast licensing with alternative transactional models.
- Understand the role and interplay of the fundamental provisions in a licensing agreement.
- Understand how to draft licensing agreements clearly and effectively.
- Recognize the importance of aligning business strategy with intellectual property strategy.
- Understand how to conduct intellectual property due diligence and valuation.
- Understand how to conduct effective negotiations.
- Understand the ethical issues in intellectual property transactions.
- Understand how to license intellectual property in various industry settings.
Since the class is practice-oriented, we will have a multi-phased licensing project instead of exams for which you will be able to work alone or with a partner.
Limited enrollment. Meets on the following Saturday’s: 1/23, 1/30, 2/6, 2/20, 2/27, 3/6, 3/20, 3/27, 4/10, 4/17, 4/24