The 2020 season of the Artificial Intelligence for Social Impact and Equity Speaker and Blog series — a series of discussions on legal responses and frameworks for dealing with algorithmic and emerging AI technologies — launches today.
Register to join us for this free series of remote talks with leading lawyers, technologists and researchers about the role of the law and policy in harnessing AI for the greatest positive social impact:
- 9/24 at noon. “Facial Recognition and Equity”: Matt Cagle, Technology and Civil Liberties Attorney, ACLU. A look at the technical developments and legal and policy response to emerging facial recognition technologies. Register here.
- 10/8 at noon. “Content Policy and Enforcement: People, Policy and Product”: Neil Potts, Public Policy Director, Trust & Safety Policy at Facebook. An in-depth look at content moderation and enforcement within the largest social media platform in the world. Register here.
- 10/15 at noon. “AI and Hiring: Automating Second Chances”: Colleen Chien, Professor of Law and Former White House Senior Advisor on Innovation and Intellectual Property. A discussion about Clean Slate automation and other policy tools to remove the stigma of a past criminal record based on Chien’s work on the Second Chance Gap and forthcoming Paper Prisons initiative. Register here.
- 10/29 at noon. “AI for Good (Trouble)”: Mutale Nkonde, Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society. A discussion of novel applications of artificial intelligence to the oldest American struggle: combating racism and bringing social change, particularly in criminal justice. Register here.
- 11/10 at noon. “Election Disinformation” : Renée DiResta, Stanford Internet Observatory. A retrospective analysis of the efforts to interfere in the 2020 election, as well as of the efforts to prevent and combat the interference – and the use of AI in both. Register here.
For more information about each individual event see the series landing page.
Can’t make them all? Don’t worry, concise and in-depth summaries of the talks, books and relevant content and reports on AI will be provided in the accompanying blog series on Medium edited by Robert Murillo II JD ‘21 and Emily Chen, JD ‘22. Follow us there for the latest developments and additions.
Since 2018, Professor Colleen Chien (@colleen_chien) has curated the AI for Social Impact Series, a series of hosted talks from leading thinkers on the impact of artificial intelligence on society. This year, we are centering the question of equity – and how artificial intelligence and the algorithms around us are making our society more or less fair and prosperous. This season is co-curated by Irina Raicu (@IEthics) (Director of the Internet Ethics Program for the Markkula Center). All events cosponsored by the High Tech Law Institute and the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics.