Professor Mertens joined the Santa Clara University School of Law faculty in 1975 and served as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs from 2006 to 2013. Throughout her career, Professor Mertens has been an integral part of Santa Clara Law’s international programs, directing summer abroad programs in Hong Kong, Geneva/Strasbourg and Costa Rica. She also led five student immersion trips to El Salvador. Professor Mertens continues to stay involved in the local community, frequently appearing as an expert witness in real property litigation matters and occasionally serving as a private arbitrator and mediator.
Previous to joining Santa Clara Law, Professor Mertens practiced with California Rural Legal Assistance. Professor Mertens was a visiting professor at Stanford Law School in 1987-88.
J.D., Hastings College of the Law, University of California
B.A., Stanford University
Areas of Specialization
Property, Real Estate Finance, Real Estate Broker Law, Escrow Practices, Title Insurance, Real Estate Development
Affiliations and Honors
- Executive Director, Katharine and George Alexander Community Law Center, 2001-2005
- Recognized as a “Silicon Valley Woman of Influence” by the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal in 2010
- Received President Locatelli’s Faculty Recognition Award, 2005
- Recognized as “Bay Area Woman of Distinction,” 2004
- Innovative Teaching Award, 1997
- Santa Clara University Faculty Special Recognition Award, 1988