Professor Streseman joined the Santa Clara faculty in 2019. From 2003 to 2019, he served as a professor of appellate advocacy and director of the Ilana Diamond Rovner Program in Appellate Advocacy at Chicago-Kent College of Law. During his tenure as director, Chicago-Kent students compiled one of the nation’s best records in appellate advocacy competitions, winning more than 40 moot court tournaments and nearly 150 awards for advocacy and brief writing. Professor Streseman taught a wide variety of courses at Chicago-Kent, including Appellate Advocacy, first-year Legal Research & Writing, Torts, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Federal Courts, and Products Liability. He was voted Chicago-Kent Professor of the Year five times by the school’s Student Bar Association.
Professor Streseman previously was an assistant professor of law at Baylor Law School and a visiting assistant professor at Chicago-Kent. Before entering academia, he practiced as a litigator at Jones Day, where he represented corporate clients in complex products liability and consumer actions in federal and state courts.
Professor Streseman graduated from Cornell Law School, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif, served as notes editor for the Cornell Law Review, and won the school’s Cuccia Cup moot court competition. He received his undergraduate degree and a graduate certificate in education from the University of California, Davis. Before attending law school, he taught English and drama at several public schools in California.
J.D., magna cum laude, Cornell Law School, 1995
B.A. in English, with high honors, University of California, Davis, 1990
Affiliations and Honors
- Special Service Award, American Bar Association Law Student Division, 2021
- Chicago-Kent Professor of the Year 2019, 2016, 2013, 2012, 2008
- Vice President for Technology, National Association of Legal Advocacy Educators, 2020–22
- Associate Editor, Legal Communication & Rhetoric: Journal of the Association of Legal Writing Directors, 2020–present
- Member, American Bar Association Student Competitions Committee and National Appellate Advocacy Subcommittee, 2017–present
- Member, Legal Writing Institute, 1998–present; Moot Court Committee, 2018–present, 2014–16, 2010–12
- Guest faculty member, Baylor University Academy of the Advocate at St. Andrews, Scotland, 2013–2019
- Instructor, Illinois Tech Prelaw Academy, 2016, 2018, 2019
- Contributing editor, Appellate Advocacy Blog, The Law Professor Blog Network, 2017–present