What is OCI?
The On Campus Interview (OCI) program is an efficient process for some legal employers to interview our students on campus for summer and entry-level associate positions.
We have three different programs:
Interview Dates: Late July thru Early August prior to Fall Semester
Employment: Usually primarily for summer positions for rising 2Ls/part-timers and a few for entry level associate positions for graduating students.
Types of Employers: Mostly large firms who can predict hiring needs far in advance, but also some government agencies, local small firms, and nonprofits.
Size of program: Our largest number of employers – often 50+
Interview Dates: Mid February thru Early March during Spring Semester
Employment: Usually for summer positions for current 1Ls, 2Ls/part-timers and sometimes for entry level associate positions for graduating students.
Types of Employers: Mostly local small firms, and some non-profits.
Size of program: A small number of employers – often under 10
Ad Hoc OCI
Interview Dates: Any time during Fall or Spring semester.
Employment: Any current class year depending on the employer’s needs.
Types of Employers: Any type- depends entirely on employer needs.
Size of program: A small number of employers each semester – often under 10
What is a Resume Collect?
- Some legal employers are unavailable to recruit on campus but still want to receive resumes from students interested in their opportunities at a specific time; this is called a resume collect.
- Instead of the employer conducting interviews on campus, the employers will call the candidates they wish to interview to their office.
- Apply for resume collect opportunities in the same place you apply for OCI.
In Order to Participate in OCI, You Must Sign the MOU
In order to participate in OCI, you must sign and submit the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) which outlines professionalism expectations to follow.
How to Apply
- Fall OCI has its own tab that you access in SCU Law Jobs. Only those that have signed the MOU have access to see the OCI tab. TIP: Applying is called “bidding” in the system. You have an unlimited number of bids.
- Spring and Ad Hoc OCIs look like regular job postings in SCU Law Jobs but the description will indicate that the interview will be on campus on a certain date.
- TIP: If you are even remotely interested, apply because employers may decide to cancel the OCI if not enough students apply to make it worth their trip to campus.
Spring 2020 OCI:
|1/9/20||Employers register by January 9, 2020.|
|1/13 – 1/24/20||Update resumes, research employers, create tailored cover letters. Meet with OCM for resume and cover letter critique.|
|1/27/20||Students – deadline to apply for Spring OCIs.|
|1/29/20||Employers Receive Applications by January 29, 2020.|
|1/30 – 1/31/20||Schedule a mock interview with OCM.|
|2/5/20||Employers Select Applicants to Interview by February 5, 2020.|
|2/10-2/11/20||Selected students schedule their interview and sign MOU.|
|2/12/20||Employers Receive Interview Schedule on February 12, 2020.|
|2/13 – 2/17/20||Meet with OCM for interview preparation.|
|2/18-3/6/20||Spring On Campus Interviews.|
Fall 2020 OCI:
Fall 2020 OCI has been moved to January 2021. More details to come soon. If you have any questions, please contact Jill Klees, Director of Career Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet with OCM
Our office is dedicated to assisting you with the OCI application process and preparing you for interviews. We strongly encourage scheduling an appointment to review your resume and cover letter, and to conduct mock interviews, in advance of interviewing with employers. We are committed to ensuring that you have every chance of success at finding meaningful employment!