Tax and Estate Planning Society
From Left to Right: Sara Hire, Lauren Corman, Cassandra Francois, and Joanne Lue
Not Pictured: Anne Boyer and Lizbeth Najera
The mission of the Tax & Estate Planning Society (“TEPS”) is to promote and encourage the study of taxation and estate planning law. In addition, TEPS is focused on developing strong relationships within the academic, business and legal tax and estate planning community. TEPS serves as a forum for law students, faculty, legal scholars, tax and estate planning practitioners, and leaders in taxation, tax policy, and estate planning to engage in an interdisciplinary discussion on developing issues in tax and estate planning law.
Tax touches every aspect of the legal world, from corporate formation and mergers to criminal fraud to personal inheritance decisions and investment decisions. Estate planning, although also encompassing other areas of the law, is a natural extension of a Society focused on taxation.
The Society organizes many events throughout the year. At these events, the members of TEPS have the opportunity to network with the business and legal communities, while learning about particular issues and areas in taxation and estate planning.
2012-2013 Executive Board
- Co-President – Cassandra Francois [Cfrancois@scu.edu]
- Co-President – Joanne Lue [Jlue@scu.edu]
- Co-Vice President – Anne Boyer [Amboyer@scu.edu]
- Co-Vice President – Lizbeth Najera [Lizbeth_najera@yahoo.com]
- Treasurer – Lauren Corman [Lcorman@scu.edu]
- Communications – Sara Hire [Shire@scu.edu]
Proposed Dates of Events
- Week of August 20th – Fall General Body Meeting
- Week of September 3rd – Careers in Estate Planning Panel
- September 21 – Jerry A. Kasner Estate Planning Symposium
- October 24, 25 – International Taxation for High Tech Multinationals Lunch Panel
- Thursday, November 1 - Speed Networking Event at the Brit
- November 8 – Careers at the Big 4 Lunch Panel
- Week of January 28th – Spring General Body Meeting
- January 31 – IRS Career Fair Lunch Panel
- Week of February 11th – Estate Planning/Probate Litigation Panel
- Friday, March 15 – Probate Court Tour
- Thursday, March 21 – Brewery Mixer, location TBD
- Week of April 7th – 1L Property Exam Review Workshop
Career Planning and Course Offerings
Contact Law Career Services by making an appointment to learn about on-campus interviewing and SCU Law Jobs/Simplicity for tax and estate planning internships and jobs. Further, review the tax, employment benefits, and trusts and estates Career Pathway Guide to start learning about opportunities in tax and estate planning, including recommended courses, academic experiences, and professional organizations and associations as well as a list of faculty members who have practice tax and estate law.
Photos from Past Events
Please browse our Picasa albums to check out photos from our past events!