The La Raza Lawyers of Santa Clara County Charitable Foundation (Foundation) and the Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center (Law Center) are pleased to announce the 2018 Cindy Avitia Immigration Justice Summer Fellowship. The recipient will receive a $5,000 grant from the Foundation to work full-time for approximately10 weeks at the Law Center.
The Foundation and the Law Center seek a Santa Clara University Law School first or second year student who has a demonstrated commitment to:
- The legal equality of underserved communities as evidenced by community/extra-curricular activities advancing social, economic, and legal equality of Latinos, immigrants, or other communities of color; and
- Promoting diversity in the legal field, such as through membership in a relevant bar association or law school affinity group.
Housed at the Law Center, the Fellow will work on all aspects of immigration cases including but not limited to assistance and orientation regarding T-Visas, U-Visas, acquired citizenship, political asylum, deferred action for childhood arrivals, human trafficking-related issues, and various aspects of citizenship matters and deportation defense. She/he will also work on immigration matters that intersect with workers’ rights and consumer law issues. Duties will include legal research, community, and policy advocacy; coordination of pro bono efforts, and participation in education and outreach efforts that benefit immigrant communities.
Applicants must complete this online application and satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Applicants must have completed an introductory course through the Law Center or have equivalent experience working on immigration matters.
- Applicants must demonstrate a financial need.
- Applicants must be available to attend Santa Clara County La Raza Lawyers Association annual Scholarship Banquet, typically scheduled in October (precise date to be announced).
The application deadline is March 2, 2018, with interviews conducted on a rolling basis. It is hoped that the Fellow be selected by April 2, 2018 or sooner.
Along with completing the online application, send your resume and recommendation letters to Sergio Lopez, from the Law Center, at email@example.com .