Examsoft Softest was developed by Examsoft and is part of an end-to-end assessment management platform. Examsoft Softest is an application that works similar to a word processor but with specialized security and backup (saves your exam data every 60 seconds to your local storage) features. If for any reason, your computer freezes up and need to be restarted, Softest will relaunch and resume from the last point before the computer malfunctioned. When exiting your exam, Softest will do a final save onto your local hard drive before encrypting the exam file. Softest will then look for an Internet connection to upload your exam file. After you have successfully uploaded your exam, you will receive a notification from Examsoft. Alternatively, you can check your exam upload history on Examsoft’s site to verify that your exam has been uploaded and processed.
What is status of Examsoft’s system? Click Here.
Latest Examsoft News:
7/19/2017 – Examsoft will launch a new exam taking product in July 2017 to replace Softest-M. Don’t upgrade or install any Examsoft software until you have receive notifications from Law School Student Services. Please note: The Macbook Pro Touch computer ban by the California State Bar has been lifted so please note this when you are deciding to purchase a new Apple Macbook Pro for Fall 2017.
2/28/2017: SCU Law has decided to follow the California State Bar and restrict students from using the new Apple Macbook Pro model ( with the touch bar feature ) with Examsoft Softest. You can use your Macbook Pro (w/ touch bar feature), but don’t run Examsoft Softest until further notice.
2/2017: California State Bar is restricting the use of Macbook Pro Laptops with the touch bar feature. See Announcements here.
1/2017: No new updates to Examsoft Softest version 11. For Mac OS users with new 2016-2017 Macbook Pro laptops with touch panels, please read this warning here from Examsoft.
Examsoft has not released Softest version 12 as of 11/1/2016. However, as of 11/1/2016, Examsoft updated the Exam taker’s portal to include support for Sierra Mac OS with the latest version of Softest 11, which is 11.0.743.95011.
On 8/16/2016: Law School Student Services sent out a notice to all Law Students that Apple Mac OS Sierra (10.12) will be released soon and IS NOT compatible with Examsoft Softest version 11 or later. Students with Apple macbook laptops are urged not to update to Mac OS Sierra (10.12). NOTE: Examsoft Softest version 11 is compatible with 10.7 (Lion) to 10.11 (El Capitan). However, it is recommend that your minimum OS version be 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan) for Softest version 11.
For In-class exams, Examsoft Softest can be these three modes:
- “Secure” mode, Softest will fully take over your entire OS desktop and prevent you from accessing the Internet along with any applications on your desktop. You are essentially locked into Softest until you have successfully exited the application.
- “Unsecure” or open mode is a completely open exam. When launching Softest, you can minimize Softest screen size, use the internet, open up notes, etc.
- ” Semi-Secure” mode is the same as un-secure mode where you’re able to access your notes from your computer hard drive and use word processor. However, Internet access will be blocked. Your internet access will be enabled again when you exit Softest to successfully upload your exam.
Getting ready for Law School Exams
- Always read your Official Announcements regarding Law School Exams!
- Do not wait until the last moment to download your exam files!
- Before exams, KNOW YOUR BLIND GRADING ID!
- Bring your access card with you! Before receiving your exam packet, we have to verify who you are.
- REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR OWN POWER CORDS TO THE EXAM!
- If you’re taking an exam(s) using your laptop computer, make sure that your computer is in good working order. Per exam guidelines, you will not get extra time for computer problems.
- Before every exam semester (Fall, Spring, Summer), make sure to check Softest for any launch errors.
- One or two weeks before exams, TAKE THE MOCK PRACTICE EXAM to see if any issues show up with your computer. If so, stop by the Law Technology help desk.
- Make sure to disable or uninstall any apps that might cause Examsoft to fail before, during, or after your exams. See this FAQ.
- During exams, if you experience any computer issues, raise your hand for help. Per exam guidelines, student with computer issues will need to hand write your exam, if the issues cannot be resolved in a timely manner.
- Check out the latest FAQs on Examsoft Softest .