Law student Esther Cha and Prof. Evangeline Abriel following Esther’s presentation of oral argument to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Santa Clara holds two annual intra-school moot court competitions, the Galloway Competition and the Honors Moot Court Internal Competition. In addition, it sends teams of students to a number of inter-school competitions, in which Santa Clara students compete against teams from other law schools.
Internal Moot Court competition. This is a semester-long class open to second year students, selected through competition. Students enrolled in the course receive two hours of academic credit and are evaluated on a credit-no credit basis. The competition is run by the Internal Honors Moot Court Board. The faculty advisor for HMCI is Michael Flynn. The students research a hypothetical case, work in teams to write an appellate brief, and present oral arguments, competing against each other in successive rounds that are judged by volunteer faculty members, judges, and local practitioners. members. Finalists receive awards and prizes.
The Galloway Competition. This is an internal competition open to first and second year students. Students write a brief on a hypothetical case involving criminal law, and the highest-scoring briefs are selected to present oral arguments in successive rounds. Students receive no academic credit for their participation in Galloway. The winners of the Galloway Competition become the competition chairs for the next year.
External Moot Court competitions. These competitions are open to second- and third-year students through a selection process considering both written and oral advocacy skills. Students independently research and write an appellate brief, and under the supervision of a faculty member or outside coach, prepare oral arguments to compete in successive rounds against teams from other law schools around the country. The faculty advisor for HMCE is Karin Carter. Some of the competitions in which Santa Clara students compete are:
- New York City Bar National Moot Court Competition
- Asylum and Refugee Law Moot Court Competition
- Jerome Prince Evidence Competition
- Constance Baker Motley First Amendment competition
- Ruby R. Vale Interschool Corporate Law Competition
- National Environmental Law Competition
- Buffalo Criminal Law Competition
- ABA Negotiation Competition
- ABA Client Counseling Competition
- ABA Appellate Advocacy Competition
- Jessup International Moot Court Competition
- Pace International Moot Court Competition
- Jean Pictet Competition
- Giles Rich Patent Law Competition
- Cardozo/BMI Copyright Competition
- INTA Trademark Moot Court Competitions
For more information on Santa Clara’s moot court programs, visit law.scu.edu/mootcourt/index.cfm