Summer Study Abroad
General Instructions for Applying to Summer Abroad Programs
Santa Clara University School of Law
Applications for Summer 2010 are available beginning January 1, 2010
Please read all the information on this page BEFORE applying for our summer abroad programs
[Click on any link below to jump to the information you are interested in]
Whichever program(s) you select, your law study abroad through Santa Clara will be memorable. Enrollment is easy. Here is what you do:
•Consult the Policies, Standards, and Expectations, Santa Clara University School of Law Summer Abroad Programs posted on our web site.
•Talk with officials at your home school regarding the transfer of grades and credit.
•Consult the timeline of our different Summer Abroad programs as this will be important to you as you complete the Application - the form only allows you to you to enroll in programs in the chronology of their start dates.
•Complete the entire Application and mail in the appropriate deposit to secure a place in our programs. Note that course and internship priority is established in the order a student’s on-line Application form and deposit are received. Documents required by the Application may follow within three weeks of submission of the Application form.
January 1, 2010
|First date to submit Application Form and Deposit for classes & internships|
|January 15, 2010||Last date to submit Application Form and Deposit for internships in Costa Rica and Cambodia|
|February 12, 2010||Last date to submit Application Form and Deposit for internships (except Applications for Costa Rica & Cambodia internships which are due January 15th)|
|March 20, 2010||Last date to submit Application Form and Deposit for classes|
|March 26, 2010||Last date to request and submit payment for Oxford housing|
|April 2, 2010||Last date to request refund for Oxford housing (written request required)|
|April 16, 2010||Last date to submit any documents required by Application Form and to pay summer tuition in FULL|
Although enrollment priority is established by submitting an Application and deposit, you must provide the documents listed below postmarked within three weeks of your submission of the on-line Application. For your convenience, you may upload the required documents to the Application in lieu of mailing in hard copies. As an alternative, you may either submit the documents electronically to the Program Manager Monica Davis at MDavis@scu.edu, or mail them to the Center for Global Law & Policy, Santa Clara University School of Law, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, California, 95053-0424, Attn: Monica Davis, Program Manager.
All applicants must submit the following documents:
• Letter of Good Standing (not required for Santa Clara Law students)
• Transcript from home law school (not required for Santa Clara Law students
• Copy of Passport – (Passport must not expire within six months of the scheduled end of the program)
• Passport-size photograph (2x2 inches), preferably in professional attire
• Signed Informed Consent Form
• Social Security Number - SSN is required for all applicants if you have one. Please send your SSN using following three options:
(1) Mail with the deposit check, although we do not recommend that you write the SSN on the check itself;
(2) Fax to 408-554-5047 with a verifying signature; or
(3) Call the Program Manager, Monica Davis at 408-551-3000 ext 6445.
NOTE: for security reasons please do NOT leave the SSN on an answering machine.
In addition to the documents required for All Applicants, internship applicants must also provide the following documents within three weeks of submission of the on-line Application. Where an original is not required you may upload the required documents to the Application. As an alternative to uploading documents you may submit the documents electronically to the Program Manager Monica Davis at MDavis@scu.edu or mail them to the Center for Global Law & Policy, Santa Clara University School of Law, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, California, 95053-0424, Attn: Monica Davis, Program Manager. Where originals are required, the documents must be mailed to the address noted above, and must be postmarked within three weeks of the date of your Application.
• Resume – 5 originals are required
• Passport-size photograph (2x2 inches) in professional attire - 3 originals are required
• 1-2 Page Personal Statement – Explain your academic and professional background, as well as academic and professional goals, and language proficiency
• 1 Page Internship Preference Statement – A statement of preference as to the nature of the internship (e.g., law office, government agency, corporate law), the subject matter area of law preferred (e.g., business, human rights, intellectual property, etc) and how your preference relates to your professional goals.
• Letter of recommendation – A letter of recommendation from someone familiar with your abilities that attests to your ability to undertake the professional responsibilities of an internship.
Our program selection is based on a first come first serve policy until the enrollment cap is reached. Spaces will be assigned to eligible applicants in the order of receipt of their Applications and date of receipt of their deposit(s). Internships placements may fill up quickly, and it is important to submit your on-line Application and submit your deposit(s) as early as possible.
• Course Applications require a deposit of $300 for each program. Note that Geneva-Strasbourg constitute one program, as does Vienna-Budapest -- applicants to either or both components of these programs are required to pay one deposit of $300 only (plus internship deposit if relevant).
• Internship Applications requires an additional $700 deposit.
All deposits are non-refundable, but will be applied to your tuition. Please mail your non-refundable deposit to: Center for Global Law & Policy, Santa Clara University School of Law, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053 – 0424, Attn: Monica Davis, Program Manager. Please make all checks payable to Santa Clara University. All payments must clearly indicate your name, application number, and your SCU student ID number if you have been assigned one.
For important information about student loans, click HERE.
Tuition is charged per unit. Per unit tuition for courses for all JD students is $880 per unit (except that tuition for Sydney courses is charged at $800 per unit, pending approval). Tuition for internship units for JD students is $975 per unit.
Please mail your full tuition to: Santa Clara University, Bursar’s Office, File 72662, P.O. Box 60000, San Francisco, CA 94160-2662.
Payment instruction can be found at www.scu.edu/bursar/payment/payment_methods.cfm
Note: You will not receive notification of payment due. You will not receive an invoice from Santa Clara University. It is your responsibility to track deadlines and payments. Please log in to Santa Clara's E-Campus system to check account balances, amounts due, and to make payment by April 16, 2010. Students who submit their Application after March 20, 2010 for an open Program will be required to include payment of full tuition via secured funds with their Application.
Applicants who meet any of the four stated criteria may apply to Santa Clara’s summer abroad programs: (1) students at ABA approved law schools who will have completed at least one year of law studies (full time or part time) by the end of the spring term; (2) students at California accredited law schools who have completed 24 units of study by the end of the spring term with a B average or higher; or (3) students in good standing from non-U.S. law schools accredited by appropriate authorities in the country where the law school is located; and (4) graduates of accredited law schools.
Changes to Submitted Applications
If you wish to change any information on your submitted Application including changing your program choice, please send an e-mail to the Program Manager Monica Davis at email@example.com. Please do NOT fill out another Application form.
Once students are admitted, each student will be given a Santa Clara University (SCU) E-Campus account and a SCU e-mail account. All e-mail communication from our end, including important program updates, internship notifications and billing information, will be sent to students' SCU e-mail account ONLY.
Your E-Campus login information will be sent via email from Ecampus@scu.edu. Your SCU E-Campus account is very important as it will allow you access to registration, tuition, billing, grade and transcript information.
Center for Global Law & Policy
Santa Clara University School of Law
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, California, 95053-0424
Monica Davis, JD
Tel: 408-551-3000 ext 6445
Vinita Bali, JD, LLM
Managing Director Center for Global Law & Policy,
Director, Summer Programs
KEEP INFORMED AND GET THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING THE PROGRAMS BY REGULARLY CHECKING OUR WEBSITE: law.scu.edu/international/summer-abroad.cfm
We start accepting applications on January 1, 2010. Click on the link below to access the Summer 2010 Application.