Santa Clara Law has a long tradition of leadership in the study of high tech and intellectual property law. The High Tech Law Institute helps coordinate Santa Clara Law’s many programs, initiatives, and events that foster strong ties among our faculty, students, alumni, and the thriving high tech and IP community in our backyard.
Degrees and Certificates
- LLM in Intellectual Property Launched in 2001, the LL.M. helps attorneys with J.D.s from U.S. law schools deepen their understanding of IP law. Through its Center for Global Law & Policy, Santa Clara Law also offers foreign lawyers an LL.M. in U.S. law with a specialization in IP law.
- High Tech Law Certificate This certificate recognizes J.D. students who have pursued a high tech law curriculum. Students take 15 units of high tech law courses and meet minimum grade requirements.
- Privacy Law Certificate This certificate trains JD students to become privacy experts. Students take 15 units of privacy related courses, meet minimum grade requirements, publish a paper on a privacy-related topic, obtain IAPP certification and complete an externship (or other work experience) related to privacy issues.
- We offer courses taught by about a dozen full-time faculty members with expertise in every aspect of IP and high tech law, plus more than 20 part-time faculty (including local lawyers and judges) working on the front lines of IP and high tech law at leading Silicon Valley law firms and technology companies.
- We have one of the largest and richest IP and technology law curricula in the country—35+ doctrinal courses, seminars, and skills-based workshops on the full range of high tech law, including IP law, corporate law, international law, computer/Internet/communications law, and the life sciences.
- We regularly offer international study abroad summer programs focusing on IP/technology law.
- High Tech Law Journal
The student-run journal, founded in 1984, focuses on all aspects of IP and high tech law. It publishes 4 issues a year and hosts an annual symposium. The journal regularly appears as one of the five most-frequently cited IP and technology journals in the Washington & Lee Law School citation database.
- Tech LawForum
Launched in 2006, Tech LawForum is a web publication containing feature articles, blogs, podcasts and video related to patent policy and Internet policy.
- Student Intellectual Property Law Association
Founded in 1989, the SIPLA is a student operated organization focusing on IP and technology law. The group sponsors programs throughout the year, such as a weekly lunchtime high tech series.
- High Tech Moot Court
The school participates in the Cardozo/BMI Entertainment and Communications Law, the Giles Sutherland rich (Patent), and the Saul Lefkowitz (Trademark) Moot Court Competitions.
- Civil and High Tech Internship Program
Through this semester-long program, students gain supervised field experience for academic credit at a governmental agency, non-profit organization, law firm, or high tech company. Nearly 200 organizations have sponsored interns through this program.
- Biotechnology Law Group
Founded in 2008, the BLG is a student operated organization focusing on the intersection of biotechnology and the law. The group sponsors programs throughout the year, such as a biotech wine and cheese networking event and a biotech career panel.
- Privacy Law Student Organization
This student group is dedicated to the study and discussion of modern issues of Privacy Law.
Founded in 2016, the only student chapter of ChIPs, a nonprofit corporation dedicated to advancing women at the confluence of law, technology, and regulatory policy.
- High Tech Advisory Board – Two dozen private attorneys, in-house counsel, and judges provide guidance to the High Tech Law Institute. Founded in 1990.
- Santa Clara High Tech Law Journal Board of Advisors – A dozen lawyers, academics and government officials provide guidance to the journal.
Santa Clara Law has an extremely active roster of programs related to high tech and IP law. Each year, the High Tech Law Institute and associated organizations collectively sponsor about two dozen academic conferences, lectures and CLE programs and another two dozen student-oriented events.
Students interested in high tech law should sign up for our email announcement list at eepurl.com/C8QcX.
Students interested in privacy law should sign up for our privacy related announcement list at http://eepurl.com/cbjA7H.
Like us on Facebook! facebook.com/SCUHTLI
Click here to view a pdf of our overview brochure.
To contact the HTLI:
High Tech Law Institute
Santa Clara Law
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053-0421
Bannan Hall, room 301H
voice: (408) 551-1868