Travel Information for WIPIP 2014
Feb. 7-8, 2014
Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University is served by three major airports: San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland.
San Jose Airport (SJC). SJC is typically the most convenient option. It has many non-stop flights (see bitly.com/TvW0QR) and is 10 minutes from campus and the conference hotel.
San Francisco Airport (SFO). SFO has more flights than SJC, but it’s not always a better choice. First, it has more weather delays than SJC due to outdated runways and its prime fogbelt location. Second, SFO is busier and larger than SJC, so getting in and out of the airport usually takes longer. Finally, its distance from campus—about 40 miles/45 minutes (depending on traffic)—means extra post-flight travel time and expense. Ground transportation options include:
- Taxi (approx. $107 each way plus tip)
- Pre-arranged car service (approx. $105 each way plus tip)
- Shared ride service, such as SuperShuttle (approx. $45 each way plus tip)
- Car rental (note: it takes about 10 minutes to get from the airport terminals to the car rental center)
- Mass transit (to get to campus, take BART to Millbrae, then switch to Caltrain and take it to the Santa Clara stop; approx. $11 each way). The train station is right across the street from campus; to get to the hotel would require a further taxi ride. This option isn’t popular with locals; it takes about 90 minutes to get to campus.
Oakland Airport (OAK). OAK and SJC generally have the same flight options, but OAK has a few non-stop options that SJC doesn’t have (see bit.ly/8YiuAW) OAK is about 40 miles/45 minutes from campus, and ground transportation options/costs are about the same as SFO’s (but mass transit is even less attractive).
The official conference hotel is Fairmont San Jose in downtown San Jose (170 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113). The Fairmont is about 4 miles from the SCU campus and 3.5 miles from the San Jose Airport.
We negotiated discounted room rates starting at $129/night. To reserve your room at the discounted rates, please call the Fairmont Reservations Department at 1-800-346-5550 or book online at https://aws.passkey.com/event/10697515/owner/478/landing. Specify you want the WIPIP 2014 Room Block. Rooms are available on a first-come, first served basis, and rates are subject to change.
The conference will be held in the Benson Center on Santa Clara University’s campus. For a campus map, please visit here. We will be providing transportation to and from the Fairmont and the conference/social programs. For local driving directions, please visit http://www.scu.edu/map/parking/directions.cfm