Welcome to Juvenile Justice Topics: Practical Applications! This course is for students who would like to receive credit for volunteering with Fresh Lifelines for Youth (FLY), a juvenile justice nonprofit with a mission to break the cycle of crime, violence, and incarceration in the lives of teens through legal education, leadership training, and one-on-one mentoring. To learn more, visit flyprogram.org. In order to receive credit for this course, you will facilitate FLY’s legal education course for at-risk youth in teams of 2-4 facilitators. You MUST be eligible and available to fulfill the commitment required of a volunteer facilitator.
Law Program Facilitators must:
- be a minimum of 21 years old.
- pass a criminal background check through the DOJ and FBI.
- attend three new facilitator training sessions.
- have a desire to connect with youth who are involved in the juvenile justice system.
- be comfortable interacting with individuals from a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- possess strong listening skills and a heart for at-risk youth.
- be able to accept constructive criticism from youth, volunteers and FLY staff.
- have access to reliable transportation.
- FLY’s minimum commitment is 1 semester.
- Facilitators teach a law related education and life skills course at an assigned school-based or after school site for 2 hours each week for 12 weeks.
- Facilitators will prepare for class by reviewing the lesson prior to class.
- Facilitators will arrive to the site 15 minutes early and stay for 30 minutes after class to debrief.
- Facilitators will call assigned youth one time each week prior to class.
- Facilitators will be available to transport youth to and from class, if necessary.
- Facilitators will attend 32 hours of orientation and new facilitator trainings.
Students must apply for the Facilitator position with Fresh Lifelines for Youth and be accepted as a Facilitator in order to enroll in and receive credit for the course. For questions, contact GeDa’ Jones Herbert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graded Credit/No Credit.