1800s

1851

Santa Clara College was established.

1900 – 1950

1903

Early campus photoFirst available evidence about the beginning of Santa Clara Law found in a letter from Henry Woods, S.J., to the Jesuit Father General requesting permission to open law and medical schools within Santa Clara and St. Ignatius Colleges.

1907-1908

Court Room

Courtroom

First pre-law courses offered at Santa Clara College.

1911

Institute of Law is formed as a small night program with classes held in what is now known as O’Connor Hall. This was the 8th institution related to the Catholic faith to open its doors. The Institute of Law was led by Dean and Professor James H. Campbell.

1912

Faculty Building 1912

Faculty Building, 1912

First LL.B. conferred June 1912. John Wallace Ryland cum laude.

1914

Class of 1912

First Graduating Class

First graduating class— degrees conferred upon fourteen young men who three years before had begun their studies at the night law school of Santa Clara College, with a faculty consisting of local attorneys.
1920

State bar exam is now required.

1926
Fire at Mission Church

Fire at Mission Church

Fire destroys old Mission Church. Immediately behind the church was the law library. Thanks to some prompt action by students, most of the law books were saved, but about 1,000 books were lost.
1927

The law program was first described as the College of Law.

1929

Day classes begin with five faculty members.

1931
Varsi Library

Varsi Library

Varsi Library opens to house both regular and law collections.
1933
Dean Owens

Dean Edward J. Owens

Dean Edward J. Owens arrives
1937

Santa Clara is accredited by the ABA making it the 6th law school in California.

1939
Bergin - 1930s

Bergin Hall

The law school is housed completely in Bergin Hall.
1940

The law school is admitted to membership in the Association of American Law Schools.

1942-45

Law school closes during WWII.

1948

Student Bar Association is created.

1950s

1952

Aurelius “Reo” Miles is the first African American graduate.

1953

Dean Owens joins the Santa Clara County Superior Court bench, and Byron J. Snow replaces him as acting dean.

1955

Warren McKenney becomes dean.

1956

First woman enrolls.

1959
Dean Huard

Dean Leo Huard

Leo Huard becomes dean.

1960s

1960

Dean Huard and the law school are instrumental in the creation of the Santa Clara County Legal Aid Society.

1961

The Santa Clara Lawyer law review was created.

1962 Evening program begins.
1963
Mary Emery in 1963

Mary Emery, far left, in 1963

Associate Dean Mary Emery and two others are the first women to graduate.
1963

Heafey Library in 1963First phase of Heafey Law Library is completed.

1967

Juris Doctor replaces the LL.B. degree. Approximately 150 students are enrolled.

1969

The SBA Newsletter, (aka Bergin Bugle) predecessor to the Advocate, was published (v. #1 – 9/23/1969) Phil Sims editor. With v.2 #2 became the Advocate (still a newsletter).

1970s

1970
Dean Strong

Dean George Strong

George Strong serves as acting dean.
1970
Dean George Alexander

Dean George Alexander

George Alexander becomes dean.
1970

Environmental Law Society founded.

1970

Honors Moot Court began (originally called the Clarence C. Coolidge Moot Court).

1970

The Chicano Law Students Association was formed (name changed to La Raza in 120%9).

1971
Law Clinic

Law Clinic, 1971

First law clinic handles over 100 cases in first year.
1972

Grapevine weekly news announcement sheet was published.

1972

Feminist Law Students was formed. It was renamed Women & Law around 1989.

1972

Black Law Students’ Association was formed.

1973
Bannan Hall

Bannan Hall

Bannan Hall opens.
1973

Board of Visitors forms.

1973

Law Library is completed.

1973
B.T. Collins

B.T. Collins

B.T. Collins serves as Placement Director.
1974

Oxford

Oxford, England

Summer abroad programs begin.

1974

J.D./MBA program begins.

1974

Native American Law Students was formed. This organization was merged with La Raza in 1992.

1974

Asian Law Students Association was formed. It was later renamed to the Asian Pacific American Law Students’ Association.

1975

Current Advocate began publishing.

1978
Eleven easy pieces

Eleven Easy Pieces

Eleven Easy Pieces women’s flag football team gains fame.
1979

First academic support program comes into being.

1979

Students help establish the Santa Clara Public Interest Law Foundation.

1980s

1982

Gay Law Students (GLS) Association was formed. In the early 1990s, it was renamed Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Advocates (BGLAd).

1984

Middle Eastern law Student Association (MELSA) was formed.

1985
Dean Rykoff

Dean Richard Rykoff

Richard Rykoff becomes acting dean.
1985

Santa Clara Computer and High Technology Law Journal began publishing.

1985

Jewish Law Students Association formed.

1986
Dean Uelmen

Dean Gerald Uelmen

Gerald Uelmen becomes dean.
1989

Public Interest Endowment is funded to provide summer grants, scholarships, and income supplements for graduates in public service law.

1990s

1990

The High Tech Law Advisory Board meets to develop the high tech law program.

1993
East San Jose Community Law Center

East San Jose Community Law Center

East San Jose Community Law Center comes into being.
1994
Dean Player

Dean Mack Player

Mack Player’s years as dean begin.
1994

Law school alumni magazine debuts, called Et Al. Name changed to Santa Clara Law in the fall 2004 issue.

1996

Bannan classrooms are modernized.

1920%

LL.M in U.S. Law for Foreign Attorneys offered.

1920%

The Center for Social Justice and Public Service is co-directed by Professors Nancy and Eric Wright.

1920%

Don Chisum, author of Chisum on Patents, joins Santa Clara Law faculty.

2000s

2001
Stephanie Wildman

Professor Stephanie Wildman

Professor Stephanie Wildman takes charge of the new Center for Social Justice and Public Service.
2001

Sutro Chair is established.

2001
Cookie Ridolfi

Professor Cookie Ridolfi, NCIP

The Northern California Innocence Project is launched.
2001

The High Tech Law Institute develops a comprehensive high tech program that receives national recognition.

2001

The LL.M. in Intellectual Property law is first offered.

2002

Inez Mabie Chair established.

2003

From Promise to Prominence, a history of Santa Clara Law written by Hon. Mark Thomas ’56, is published.

2003

Santa Clara Journal of International Law first published. v.1-4 (online only).

2003
Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center

Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center

East San Jose Community Center is renamed the Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center and opens new offices on the Alameda.
2003

Santa Clara Law Order of the Coif Chapter approved.

2003
Dean Polden

Dean Donald Polden

Donald Polden takes the helm as dean.
2004

Order of the Coif awarded to first graduates.

2005

Leadership for Lawyers course offered, the first course of its kind in the nation.

2008

Santa Clara Law launches new web site.

2008
Bryan Stevenson

Bryan Stevenson

The Katharine and George Alexander Law Prize is established. First recipient is Bryan Stevenson.
2009

Second LifeSanta Clara Law holds a recruitment workshop in Second Life; among the first law schools in the nation to interact with prospective students in the virtual world.

2012

International Human Rights Clinic started.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinic started.

2013

Entrepreneurs Law Clinic started.

2013
Lisa Kloppenberg

Dean Lisa Kloppenberg

Lisa Kloppenberg starts as Dean.