Many of the services offered through Law Career Services for current students are also available to you as a graduate of the law school. We can assist in your job search preparation by offering support, guidance and resources as you embark on a new career direction. We firmly believe that career-building skills are an integral part of your legal education.
Located at Bannan Hall 230, the Law Career Services team consists of an Assistant Dean, an Assistant Director for Law Graduate Employment, an Assistant Director for Law Career Development, a Program Coordinator, and two Public Interest Career Coordinators. We offer a range of services and resources that all alumni are welcome to take advantage of:
- Extensive job listings—including full-time, part-time and temporary positions as well as information on judicial clerkships and post-graduate fellowships—available online through SCU Law Jobs.
- Networking events with alumni and local practitioners, including Law Career Day, Public Interest/Public Sector Day and the Silicon Valley High Tech Legal Career Fair.
- Skill-based workshops on such topics as resumes, cover letters, interview skills, networking and job search strategies.
- Limited access to career resources at other law schools, called reciprocity, upon special request.
- Comprehensive career library and job search resources including computers, printers, copier and a fax machine dedicated for student and alumni use.
- Legal Temporary Agencies
For alumni within one year of graduation from Santa Clara, we also offer limited one-on-one career advising appointments from November through July.
Beyond Santa Clara, there are a number of private career counselors who can provide you with self-assessment and job search assistance for a fee.
If you need assistance beyond the scope of career advising, Santa Clara University offers free, confidential counseling, including psychological, educational and consultative services, through the Counseling Center in 201 Benson.
Your Career as a Resource for Others
In addition to providing resources, we also encourage alumni participation in a number of our programs. Through Law Career Services, hundreds of law graduates over the years have found a way to contribute their time and expertise to the law school community.
If you’re a graduate of Santa Clara University School of Law, we invite you to share your knowledge and expertise with current law students, recent graduates and fellow alumni. Here are several ways you can partner with Law Career Services and Public Interest Law Career Services:
- Employ a Santa Clara law student or graduate. Check out our resources under For Employers.
- Update your profile in Santa Clara’s online alumni database to answer career-related questions from current students and recent graduates.
- Participate in Law Career Day to talk to current and prospective students about your own individual career path. Law Career Day, held in January or February, is our premiere event for showcasing the accomplishments of our law school graduates.
- Offer to speak during the school year as part of an LCS or PILCS workshop. We’ll work with you to identify the most appropriate events to showcase your particular areas of expertise.