October – November 2013
Listen to 2L’s and 3L’s talk about how they researched, applied, and interviewed for positions ranging from the federal government to judicial externships and more! Learn tips and effective strategies so that you will never miss that deadline again!
Application timelines for small to mid-sized firms, corporate, formal externship programs, public interest (non-profit/NGO), public sector (government), and formal interview programs will be discussed.
Drafting a cover letter that persuades a recruiter to thoughtfully consider your application draws on all of the principles of effective legal writing. Join Law Career Services and Professor John Schunk for an interactive presentation designed to help you begin drafting your cover letters. Learn about cover letter format and begin drafting text!
We are fortunate to have a special guest speaker, Fred Gonzalez, General Counsel at Corsair, Board of Visitors and SCU Law Alumni Board Member. He will share his expert tips on networking and career planning strategies. Mr. Gonzalez has been general counsel for four companies and he is the “super networker” of Silicon Valley.
To practice law or not…that is the question. Come and meet some Santa Clara Law alums who are working in alternative legal or non-legal positions. You will hear about their career path through law school and how they prepared for their current positions. Don’t miss this chance to learn what other opportunities are out there for law graduates in Silicon Valley companies.
Get to know local public interest and public sector attorneys and organizations. Find out about externships and career possibilities.
Inaugurated in April 2007, the West Coast International LL.M. Job Fair is a recruitment venue for employers who are interested in enlisting international legal talents and for internationally trained lawyers who are currently enrolled in an LL.M. program at a participating law school. UCLA School of Law serves as the event’s organizer and host while a consortium of 19 campuses participate in the program. Interested employers will have the opportunity to pre-select LL.M. candidates from a collective pool of high caliber students who represent many countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. The 2014 West Coast International LL.M. Job Fair will be held on February 21 at UCLA School of Law.
The West Coast LLM job fair related information is also available at http://www.law.ucla.edu/career-services/current-students/llm-students/Pages/west-coast-international-llm-job-fair.aspx
During the Registration Period—Monday, November 4 to Tuesday, December 3, 2013, you will need to do the following:
To Register for the 2014 West Coast LL.M. Fair
• Click on the “Register” button.
• Complete the form with your information and click “Submit.”
• Verify your email address by following the instructions sent via a Symplicity-generated message to the email address you have provided.
To Upload Your Resume:
• Log on to https://law-westcoastllm-csm.symplicity.com/students/. Your login and password will be sent to you via a Symplicity message after your email verification and your coordinator’s approval of your registration.
• Click on the “Documents” tab in the home screen.
• Click on “Add New.”
• Name the document in the “Label” field and select the appropriate document type.
• Enter the file name or click on “Browse” to upload your resume and/or other relevant documents.
• You may upload more than one version of your resume, but if you do, you must select one to be the default. The system will allow you to upload multiple resumes, and select which ones to upload for specific employers.
• When finished, click the “Submit” tab.
Vicki Huebner is leading this workshop on the best ways to research employers. Learn great resources to make sure you know the complete story about potential employers.
Learn the skills to master an interview by attending this workshop.
PI/PS Day Orientation