Senior Counsel Needed at SolarCity in San Mateo, CA
July 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM
SENIOR COUNSEL, STRUCTURED FINANCE
The Senior Counsel will report to the Company’s Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Structured Finance. This is a newly-created position due to the company’s strong growth.
The successful candidate will have 5-10 years of experience in complex structured finance (preferably in the context of renewable energy deals and power purchase arrangements). A working knowledge of real estate, construction, finance, partnership and regulatory law is helpful. A background that incorporates a mixture of top tier law firm and in house experience is preferred.
This person’s primary responsibilities will be to draft and negotiate fund and debt agreements to put tax equity to work in the solar industry. This individual must possess substantive knowledge of tax equity arrangements, including the structuring of both joint ventures and master lease structures, and associated debt, and must understand the legal tax implications of various types of investments.
• Provide legal expertise and structure tax equity fund formation and debt.
• Provide legal oversight for tax equity fund management and reporting.
• Liaise with outside counsel and respond to tax equity investor and lender diligence requests.
• Liaise with tax equity investors and understand and manage expectations, and ensure deliverables are timely and accurate.
• Provide legal expertise in corporate debt structuring.
• Provide strategic legal guidance and services to sales, structured finance and fund accounting groups at SolarCity.
• Independently initiate and problem solve to enhance company performance.
The ideal candidate must have the following experiences and skills:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college plus a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from a strong law school is required. An LLM or CPA credential would be an asset.
• The preferred candidate will have 5+ years of work experience including several years as an Associate at a law firm, as well as 3+ years of experience, in-house.
• Membership in the California Bar or another major state bar.
• Expertise handling corporate finance, leasing and structured finance transactions.
• Experience in tax equity financings for renewable energy projects, new markets tax credits, complicated leasing transactions, debt offerings or other forms of structured finance.
• Experience in evaluating, drafting or negotiating power purchase agreements, EPC agreements and related energy agreements is preferred.
• Industry experience in energy or real estate would be looked upon favorably.
• Experience with the U.S. Department of Energy loan guaranty or other federal renewable programs is a plus.
The ideal candidate has the following personal characteristics:
• Results-driven, has a strong sense of urgency and is able to drive results.
• Fast-paced, yet detail oriented.
• Extremely numerate when compared to the average lawyer.
• Highly intelligent and able to rapidly comprehend and distill large amounts of very complex data.
• Comfortable rolling up his/her sleeves and being hands-on; comfortable handling data analysis and providing specialized legal advice to SolarCity’s senior team members.
• Strong communication skills and the ability to work well with others including sales team members
• Comfort in an entrepreneurial environment where demands and priorities change rapidly.
• Robust organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal). Experience in public speaking a plus.
• Able to coordinate and communicate complex legal issues to multiple groups, business units, and outside tax equity investors and lenders.
• Able to effectively interact with, influence and collaborate with other members of the finance team, as well as SolarCity’s outside counsel and investors.
• Enjoys working in a fast-paced, high growth environment.
• Comfortable in an egalitarian, collaborative environment where even the C-suite executives sit in cubes.
• A great sense of humor.
For more information and to apply, please visit: bit.ly/LSnz5C