Fall Extern for the US Department of Labor
June 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM
The San Francisco District location of the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Administrative Law Judges ("SF OALJ") invites applications from law students interested in externing with an administrative law judge at a dynamic federal agency. The SF OALJ is a trial court responsible for conducting adjuratory hearings and issuing decisions for the U.S. Department of Labor under more than 70 different laws and executive orders.
This externship is especially valuable for students interested in practicing employment law or students with a background in medicine.
The extern will provide assistance to an administrative law judge by:
1) conducting legal research and analysis of laws, regulations, and case precedent;
2) drafting written decisions from transcripts, exhibits, and closing briefs for the Judge's review and approval;
3) responding to inquiries from attorneys regarding procedural and legal aspects of the cases. Similar to to many other judicial externships, a position with the SF OALJ offers opportunities to audit court hearings and to regularly interact with the judge.
SPECIFIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Good standing in an accredited law school is required.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants who have a record of outstanding academic performance and excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Those with a demonstrated interest in employment law, administrated law, or workers' compensation law are also preferred
For required application materials and instructions for submission, please see Job # 9188 on Symplicity.
IMPORTANT: Applications are accepted until the position is filled. Therefore, students are encouraged to submit application materials as early as possible, but no later than July 15th, 2012.