Specialized degree programs in intellectual property and international & comparative law in the world famous Silicon Valley setting provide students with the opportunity to expand their professional network and enhance their legals skills while earning a Masters in Law (LL.M.).
Challenge Yourself and Enhance Your Career Options
with an LLM
Located in Silicon Valley, one of the world’s most vibrant technology and business centers, Santa Clara Law offers an array of programs for U.S. and foreign attorneys. Our Graduate Legal Programs team will help ensure that your curriculum meets both your academic goals and professional needs. Plus, you can realize the potential of your graduate degree with the help of our Career Management team and our robust alumni network.
No matter which LLM program you choose, you’ll be taking a step that will lead to greater career opportunities, more recognition as a lawyer, and the ability to make meaningful connections to others practicing law.
Our Graduate Legal Programs
Each of Santa Clara Law’s LLM programs is designed to deliver the advanced training and knowledge you need to further advance your legal career.
Programs for Students Holding a US JD Degree
Earn your LLM at one of the top IP schools in the nation. Our High Tech Law Institute is a leader in promoting and advancing the study and development of IP law and related laws, and our Santa Clara High Technology Law Journal is one of the most widely cited in the field.
Explore our abundant array of international law courses and take advantage of one of the oldest and most extensive summer abroad programs of any U.S. law school. Our Center for Global Law and Policy promotes scholarship in the field of international and comparative law and provides a variety of educational opportunities for law students.
Programs for Students with Primary Degrees in Law from Outside the US
Choose from our numerous and diverse courses to create a program that matches your professional needs and goals. We offer four options: general studies, or a specialization for Intellectual Property Law, Human Rights Law, or International and comparative Law.
If you are an international student interested in obtaining an LLM from Santa Clara University, view our special instructions for international students.
Why Santa Clara Law?
When you earn your LLM at Santa Clara Law, you will be immersed in one of the most vibrant business centers in the world: Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area. Here are a few reasons why an LLM at Santa Clara Law is a smart choice.
- Reputation: Santa Clara Law’s program in intellectual property law has been regularly ranked for the past ten years as among the top ten in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. Santa Clara’s Journal of Computer and High Technology Law is one of the first and most widely cited journals in the field. An LLM in Intellectual Property from Santa Clara will be recognized in the profession.
- Quality: Santa Clara’s outstanding, nationally prominent full-time faculty, coupled with our adjunct faculty of judges and the nation’s leading practitioners of intellectual property law, provides exceedingly rich and diverse course offerings. Santa Clara is the oldest university in the State of California, is fully accredited by the American Bar Association, is a member of the American Association of Law Schools, and has been awarded a chapter in the prestigious Order of the Coif. Candidates will receive an excellent academic experience.
- Location: Santa Clara is located in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley. This enables us to draw from our immediate neighbors, securing outstanding, practically experienced teaching faculty; rich, cutting-edge conferences, programs, and speakers; and networking and career opportunities with some of the world’s most prominent companies and firms, such as Yahoo!, Google, eBay, Sun, and more.
- Flexibility: Santa Clara allows two years to complete the degree, on a full-time or part-time basis. Since we offer classes in both day and evening, as well as in the summer, candidates may continue employment while completing their studies.
- International Study Opportunity: Santa Clara offers fourteen distinct summer abroad programs (more than any other U.S. law school), and a number of cooperative graduate programs with foreign universities. LLM candidates have the option to undertake some of their degree requirements in a foreign setting. Get more information on our summer abroad programs.
- Career Services: Candidates may utilize Santa Clara Law’s Office of Career Management. Extensive contacts with leading California law firms and high tech companies assist candidates in finding a career path. Get more information about Office of Career Management.
Santa Clara Law is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. This gives our students many opportunities for networking, experience, and employment with many of the world’s top technology companies.
Apply for an LLM from Santa Clara Law
Here’s how our easy application process works:
- Send your signed application for admissions. (Santa Clara Law will also accept Law School Admissions Council [LSAC] online LLM application. More information about submitting your application electronically can be found at www.lsac.org.)
- Submit official transcripts for all undergraduate, graduate, and professional academic programs attended.
- Prepare and upload your personal statement.
- Submit your resume.
- Provide 2 Letters of Recommendation (strongly recommended, not required).
- Pay applicable application fees.
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores (for non-native English speakers only).
Still Have Questions?
Please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our goal is to simplify the application process for you. We are happy to meet with you in person or to answer any questions you may have over the phone or via e-mail. Contact us at 408.551.1963 or fill out the form below.